Cavo Beach

Rio

The town of ancient Roman origin with the long beach.

Cable derives its name from caput, meaning promontory. The ancient Roman origin is evidenced by the remains of a domus found on the nearby promontory of Capo Castello. The village's long beach stretches from the jetty behind the marina to the rocky promontory topped by Villa Tonietti. Two breakwaters protect the lido and provide space on the rocks. From the beach, the view sweeps over Piombino and the small island of Palmaiola, which is only 3 km away.

Type of beach

Pebbles and granite cliffs

Recommended with winds of:

South Wind (S), Libeccio wind (SW), West Wind (W), Mistral (NW)

How to get there

Cavo is the last resort north of the island's east coast. The beach is located behind the waterfront boulevard. In summer, the municipal minibus operates from Ortano and connects the beaches and coastal resorts.

Follow the navigator

By clicking on the beach icon on the map you can directly upload the route to your smartphone. Remember to turn on localization.

Facilities

Snack bar
Ideal for families
Aquatic equipment rental
Underwater landscape
Car park
Restaurant
Free beach
Nightlife & live music
Equipped beach

Pet friendly

Elba is at the forefront of animal rights. The rule stipulates that each municipality may regulate access to strands more specifically.

Explore the beach in 360°

Mines of Rio Marina

Strategic location for the large amount of hematite and limonite immediately identified by the emperor as soon as he landed on the island as a strategic-military axis.
Location: Rio Marina

Paolina Beach

The beach is named after the islet a few meters from the shore, itself named after Napoleon Bonaparte’s sister who, according to a legend (probably created by a tourism entrepreneur in the 1960s) loved to sunbathe on these rocks.

Location: Marciana

San Martino Villa

Designated as a summer residence, Napoleon purchased the property from the Manganaro family in 1814, with the intention of transforming it into a comfortable and refined abode that would have nothing to envy from Parisian residences.

Location: Località San Martino (Portoferraio)

Mulini Villa

Built in 1724 by Grand Duke Gaston de’ Medici, it was Napoleon’s city residence during his first stay on Elba Island.

Location: Portoferraio

Sanctuary of Monserrato

It was built as a sign of gratitude in 1606 by José Pons y León of the Dukes of Arcos, Spanish governor of Naples and first governor of the square of Longone (part of the state of principals). In September 1814 Napoleon, accompanied by Pons and Bertrand wanted to visit the sanctuary.

Location: Località Monserrato (Portoazzurro)

MUM Mineralogical Museum

While the Elban economy today is based on tourism, the fact remains that the people of San Piero and the west coast (Pomonte) have also lived and continue to live off their granite and marble

Location: San Piero in Campo

Port and Tower of Marciana Marina

Visit the harbor where Maria Walewska landed and the armed watchtower visited by Napoleon himself in 1814

Location: Marciana Marina