Fonza Beach

Campo nell'Elba

A pristine view in the Gulf of Campo. A natural environment with a few houses hidden in thick Mediterranean scrub. Pet-friendly beach. Ideal for those who like peace and quiet.

An inlet that opens up and makes space for itself among the cliffs covered with Mediterranean scrub. A turquoise blue sea that ends with a beach characterized by a large rock that divides it into two equal parts and juts out into the sea like a sentinel. The beach consists of medium-sized but smooth pebbles, while the seabed is sandy. Along the coast on the left side are tiny beaches that can be reached only by boat. There are numerous dive spots including the Mullet Reef, Fonza Shoal, and The Coral Reefs. It is one of the few beaches where dogs are allowed.

Type of beach

Sand

Recommended with winds of:

North Wind, Grecale Wind (NE), East Wind (E), Mistral (NW)

How to get there

It can be reached by driving along about two kilometers of dirt road after leaving the Marina di Campo-Lacona provincial road at the height of the Elba Aquarium. Recommended parking along the road, before the beach.

Follow the navigator

By clicking on the beach icon on the map you can directly upload the route to your smartphone. Remember to turn on localization.

Facilities

Ideal for families
Underwater landscape
Free beach

Pet friendly

Elba is at the forefront of animal rights. The rule stipulates that each municipality may regulate access to strands more specifically.

Explore the beach in 360°

Mines of Rio Marina

Strategic location for the large amount of hematite and limonite immediately identified by the emperor as soon as he landed on the island as a strategic-military axis.
Location: Rio Marina

Paolina Beach

The beach is named after the islet a few meters from the shore, itself named after Napoleon Bonaparte’s sister who, according to a legend (probably created by a tourism entrepreneur in the 1960s) loved to sunbathe on these rocks.

Location: Marciana

San Martino Villa

Designated as a summer residence, Napoleon purchased the property from the Manganaro family in 1814, with the intention of transforming it into a comfortable and refined abode that would have nothing to envy from Parisian residences.

Location: Località San Martino (Portoferraio)

Mulini Villa

Built in 1724 by Grand Duke Gaston de’ Medici, it was Napoleon’s city residence during his first stay on Elba Island.

Location: Portoferraio

Sanctuary of Monserrato

It was built as a sign of gratitude in 1606 by José Pons y León of the Dukes of Arcos, Spanish governor of Naples and first governor of the square of Longone (part of the state of principals). In September 1814 Napoleon, accompanied by Pons and Bertrand wanted to visit the sanctuary.

Location: Località Monserrato (Portoazzurro)

MUM Mineralogical Museum

While the Elban economy today is based on tourism, the fact remains that the people of San Piero and the west coast (Pomonte) have also lived and continue to live off their granite and marble

Location: San Piero in Campo

Port and Tower of Marciana Marina

Visit the harbor where Maria Walewska landed and the armed watchtower visited by Napoleon himself in 1814

Location: Marciana Marina