Pomonte Beach

Marciana

Not one but three beaches on a human scale, ideal for snorkelers thanks in part to the presence of an easy-to-reach wreck. Also on the left side are the beaches of the Tombs, conveniently accessible by boat, pristine and wild.

The first beach one encounters coming down from the village is pebbles and pebbles polished by the sea with particularly clear water. Those who like rocks can continue to the right to the height of the bigo, a reconstruction of an old crane for embarking granite blocks, where they can lie pleasantly on the smooth cliffs that plunge into the sea. Continuing instead to the left, after crossing a small wooden bridge, is the Quartiere or Ogliera beach. An expanse of medium-fine, flat pebbles, about eighty meters long, equipped with rental of sunbeds, umbrellas, pedal boats and a small bar. In front of the beach, 200 meters away, emerges the Ogliera rock, a favorite destination for divers and snorkelers because of the presence on its seabed of the wreck of the Elviscott, a shipwreck that ran aground on January 10, 1972, and was later sunk. The wreck lies about 20 meters to the left of the rock at a depth of 3 to 12 meters, perfectly visible. It can be reached by pedal boat or swimming even with children: one can easily free dive to see it up close, touch it, walk through it. The third beach, known as the Garden Beach, is dark sand mixed with gravel, about a hundred meters long, completely free and wild, and can be reached by walking into the water from Ogliera Beach or going down a path from the provincial road above. Also worth mentioning, on the left side are the beaches of the Tombs, which can be conveniently reached by boat, unspoiled and wild.

Type of beach

Sand and pebbles

Recommended with winds of:

Grecale Wind (NE), East Wind (E)

How to get there

The beaches can be reached from the town square by leaving the main road and following a path of a few hundred meters. During the season (July-September) the Municipality of Marciana provides a "Marebus" passenger service between the town and nearby hamlets (Sant'Andrea, Zanca, Patresi, Colle d'Orano, Chiessi).

Follow the navigator

By clicking on the beach icon on the map you can directly upload the route to your smartphone. Remember to turn on localization.

Facilities

Snack bar
Ideal for sport lovers
Underwater landscape
Car park
Free beach

Pet friendly

Elba is at the forefront of animal rights. The rule stipulates that each municipality may regulate access to strands more specifically.

Explore the beach in 360°

Mines of Rio Marina

Strategic location for the large amount of hematite and limonite immediately identified by the emperor as soon as he landed on the island as a strategic-military axis.
Location: Rio Marina

Paolina Beach

The beach is named after the islet a few meters from the shore, itself named after Napoleon Bonaparte’s sister who, according to a legend (probably created by a tourism entrepreneur in the 1960s) loved to sunbathe on these rocks.

Location: Marciana

San Martino Villa

Designated as a summer residence, Napoleon purchased the property from the Manganaro family in 1814, with the intention of transforming it into a comfortable and refined abode that would have nothing to envy from Parisian residences.

Location: Località San Martino (Portoferraio)

Mulini Villa

Built in 1724 by Grand Duke Gaston de’ Medici, it was Napoleon’s city residence during his first stay on Elba Island.

Location: Portoferraio

Sanctuary of Monserrato

It was built as a sign of gratitude in 1606 by José Pons y León of the Dukes of Arcos, Spanish governor of Naples and first governor of the square of Longone (part of the state of principals). In September 1814 Napoleon, accompanied by Pons and Bertrand wanted to visit the sanctuary.

Location: Località Monserrato (Portoazzurro)

MUM Mineralogical Museum

While the Elban economy today is based on tourism, the fact remains that the people of San Piero and the west coast (Pomonte) have also lived and continue to live off their granite and marble

Location: San Piero in Campo

Port and Tower of Marciana Marina

Visit the harbor where Maria Walewska landed and the armed watchtower visited by Napoleon himself in 1814

Location: Marciana Marina