Hermitages and Chestnut groves

Marciana
Hermitages and Chestnut groves
img-marciana

Chestnut groves on the north side of the island

From the village of Poggio, one of the most characteristic on Elba, you set off on a walk through the chestnut groves on the north side of the island. There you will find the first hidden sanctuary, the hermitage of San Cerbone. Not far away is the 'saint's cave', where the holy bishop's probable refuge was. The road continues through the shady 'Pedalta' valley. Here, panoramic views of the north coast of the island and the Tuscan coast accompany the route up to the second sanctuary. The small chapels of the Via Crucis mark the way to the 'Madonna del Monte' and to the places where Napoleon found peace, tranquillity and... the visit of his lover in August 1814. After refuelling at the Exedra spring, the route continues towards the panoramic terrace on Corsica of 'Serraventosa'. Final descent to the small town of Patresi.

Difficulty

Easy

Type

Suitable for groups

Estimated duration

161 minutes

Distance

9.7 km

Recommended departure

Any

Look at the track

Explore the 360-degree path

Mines of Rio Marina

Strategic location for the large amount of hematite and limonite immediately identified by the emperor as soon as he landed on the island as a strategic-military axis.
Location: Rio Marina

Paolina Beach

The beach is named after the islet a few meters from the shore, itself named after Napoleon Bonaparte’s sister who, according to a legend (probably created by a tourism entrepreneur in the 1960s) loved to sunbathe on these rocks.

Location: Marciana

San Martino Villa

Designated as a summer residence, Napoleon purchased the property from the Manganaro family in 1814, with the intention of transforming it into a comfortable and refined abode that would have nothing to envy from Parisian residences.

Location: Località San Martino (Portoferraio)

Mulini Villa

Built in 1724 by Grand Duke Gaston de’ Medici, it was Napoleon’s city residence during his first stay on Elba Island.

Location: Portoferraio

Sanctuary of Monserrato

It was built as a sign of gratitude in 1606 by José Pons y León of the Dukes of Arcos, Spanish governor of Naples and first governor of the square of Longone (part of the state of principals). In September 1814 Napoleon, accompanied by Pons and Bertrand wanted to visit the sanctuary.

Location: Località Monserrato (Portoazzurro)

MUM Mineralogical Museum

While the Elban economy today is based on tourism, the fact remains that the people of San Piero and the west coast (Pomonte) have also lived and continue to live off their granite and marble

Location: San Piero in Campo

Port and Tower of Marciana Marina

Visit the harbor where Maria Walewska landed and the armed watchtower visited by Napoleon himself in 1814

Location: Marciana Marina