Promoted by the Municipality of Portoferraio, Cosimo dè Medici s.r.l., Sistema Museale dell'Arcipelago Toscano, Port System Authority of the Northern Tyrrhenian Sea and Lega Navale Italiana in collaboration with the 'Porta a Terra-Desco' Association and sponsored by the Region of Tuscany and the Livorno Maritime Directorate, the exhibition aims to raise awareness of the beauty of the sea and its inhabitants, but, above all, to raise awareness of the need and urgency of its effective protection.
The author of this journey into the underwater world is Sandro Leonelli, an instructor and underwater photographer who has been a member of the Italian Naval League for 25 years. Leonelli has been diving with his trusty camera for about 40 years, taking photos and making videos, the latest of which is a 12 1/2-minute documentary with the same title as the exhibition, which was screened at the opening.
The exhibit consists of a series of "back-lit" underwater photographs that highlight the spectacular nature of the marine environment of the Piombino Channel. The images, in various formats, are depicted through transparent opaline sheets illuminated at the back by LED light. What transpires is a high-resolution view rich in detail and color of the subjects that characterize the seafloor.
The visitor enters a completely dark room, enlivened by a musical background of Cetacean stalls. In some corners there are photo-diving equipment and antique diver equipment provided by Guido Simoni in the half-light. A true plunge into the blue for those who have never had the chance or the courage to dive in person.
The exhibition will remain open until Oct. 15, 2023, and can be visited daily from 9:30 am to 10:30 pm.
The beach is named after the islet a few meters from the shore, itself named after Napoleon Bonaparte’s sister who, according to a legend (probably created by a tourism entrepreneur in the 1960s) loved to sunbathe on these rocks.
Designated as a summer residence, Napoleon purchased the property from the Manganaro family in 1814, with the intention of transforming it into a comfortable and refined abode that would have nothing to envy from Parisian residences.
Built in 1724 by Grand Duke Gaston de’ Medici, it was Napoleon’s city residence during his first stay on Elba Island.
It was built as a sign of gratitude in 1606 by José Pons y León of the Dukes of Arcos, Spanish governor of Naples and first governor of the square of Longone (part of the state of principals). In September 1814 Napoleon, accompanied by Pons and Bertrand wanted to visit the sanctuary.
While the Elban economy today is based on tourism, the fact remains that the people of San Piero and the west coast (Pomonte) have also lived and continue to live off their granite and marble
Visit the harbor where Maria Walewska landed and the armed watchtower visited by Napoleon himself in 1814