Wild and unspoiled Elba, super-equipped and state-of-the-art, in each case all to be discovered. There are truly many opportunities to experience the sea along the more than 147 kilometers of coastline: long golden sandy shores, tiny pebble coves, black sand beaches, others of the whitest pebbles, and towering granite cliffs and basalts. Impossible not to find the perfect one for you.
The island can be reached from the Port of Piombino in one hour by ferry. The ships all depart from the Port of Piombino for connections to Portoferraio (about a 60-minute crossing) and–with less frequency–Rio Marina and Cavo (about 45 and 35 minutes).
There is also the possibility of a fast connection via Toremar hydrofoil, reserved only for passenger transport to Cavo (about 20 minutes) and continuation to Portoferraio (another 15 minutes, for a total of 35 minutes).
For car transport, there is also (during the periods of activity) a fast connection with the Corsica Sardinia Ferries vessel (about 40 minutes) with Piombino – Portoferraio route.
If, on the other hand, you wish to leave your car in Piombino, both free and paid outdoor and covered secure parking spaces are available within the port area.
There are numerous ways to get to Elba Island directly by plane. Some operators, depending on the period under consideration, provide access to La Pila Airport, in the vicinity of Marina di Campo.
Elba’s national airline, which flies on a territorial continuity basis from Elba Island to Pisa and Florence, guarantees flights all year round. Seasonal flights from Elba to Milan Linate and Bologna from June to September.
The routes operated by Swiss Flight Services are:
Bern – Elba Island
La Chaux De Fonds – Elba Island
Volea is an airline that operates customized charter flights to and from the island of Elba to the rest of Europe.
FROM NORTH-WEST: Follow the A12 Genova-Livorno highway southbound to the Rosignano exit. Continue on the S.S. Aurelia to the Venturina-Isola d’Elba interchange; continue on the two-lane expressway. When approaching Piombino, follow the signs for the port.
FROM NORTH-EAST: take the A1 Bologna-Florence highway and then take the A11 interchange in the direction of Pisa-Livorno to join the A12 with an exit at Rosignano. Alternatively, at the Firenze Signa junction, take the SGC Firenze-Pisa-Livorno exit at Collesalvetti, and then proceed in the direction of Rosignano. Once out of the Rosignano tollbooth, continue on the S.S. Aurelia to the Venturina-Isola d’Elba interchange; continue on the two-lane expressway. When approaching Piombino, follow the signs for the port.
FROM THE SOUTH: Take the A12 Rome-Grosseto highway northbound and continue on the S.S. Aurelia to the Venturina-Isola d’Elba junction; continue on the two-lane expressway. When approaching Piombino, follow the signs for the port.
For those who prefer to reach Piombino by train, the reference station is Campiglia Marittima (on the Genoa-Rome route), from which you can get to Piombino Marittima station and port with frequent connections and shuttles.
For schedules consult the Trenitalia website, specifying Piombino Marittima as the station of arrival. For shuttle bus schedules consult the AT Autolinee Toscane website. Buses leave from the square in front of the station.
It is possible to reach the Port of Piombino through connections operated by various operators. There are direct routes from Milan and Florence (during July-September).
The beach is named after the islet a few meters from the shore, itself named after Napoleon Bonaparte’s sister who, according to a legend (probably created by a tourism entrepreneur in the 1960s) loved to sunbathe on these rocks.
Designated as a summer residence, Napoleon purchased the property from the Manganaro family in 1814, with the intention of transforming it into a comfortable and refined abode that would have nothing to envy from Parisian residences.
Built in 1724 by Grand Duke Gaston de’ Medici, it was Napoleon’s city residence during his first stay on Elba Island.
It was built as a sign of gratitude in 1606 by José Pons y León of the Dukes of Arcos, Spanish governor of Naples and first governor of the square of Longone (part of the state of principals). In September 1814 Napoleon, accompanied by Pons and Bertrand wanted to visit the sanctuary.
While the Elban economy today is based on tourism, the fact remains that the people of San Piero and the west coast (Pomonte) have also lived and continue to live off their granite and marble
Visit the harbor where Maria Walewska landed and the armed watchtower visited by Napoleon himself in 1814