History, Archeology

Linguella archaeological area

Portoferraio

Linguella archaeological area

There are few occasions where so many centuries of history can be admired in such a small space, but the Fortezza della Linguella is just one of them: hidden beneath the Medicean levels of use, archaeological excavations have brought to light the remains of a rich maritime villa from the Roman era

Need to know

Excavations have uncovered a number of structures pertaining to a thermal baths, with four phases of life, from the 1st century BC. to the 3rd century AD, probably of public use serving the Roman port. The ancient walls, often submerged at sea level, have recently been restored; the original floors have been replaced with copies and reconstructed in the Linguella Archaeological Museum.
Area-Archeologica-Linguella-900x500

Where it is located

Piazzale della Linguella, 5, 57037 Portoferraio LI

Contacts

Mines of Rio Marina

Strategic location for the large amount of hematite and limonite immediately identified by the emperor as soon as he landed on the island as a strategic-military axis.
Location: Rio Marina

Paolina Beach

The beach is named after the islet a few meters from the shore, itself named after Napoleon Bonaparte’s sister who, according to a legend (probably created by a tourism entrepreneur in the 1960s) loved to sunbathe on these rocks.

Location: Marciana

San Martino Villa

Designated as a summer residence, Napoleon purchased the property from the Manganaro family in 1814, with the intention of transforming it into a comfortable and refined abode that would have nothing to envy from Parisian residences.

Location: Località San Martino (Portoferraio)

Mulini Villa

Built in 1724 by Grand Duke Gaston de’ Medici, it was Napoleon’s city residence during his first stay on Elba Island.

Location: Portoferraio

Sanctuary of Monserrato

It was built as a sign of gratitude in 1606 by José Pons y León of the Dukes of Arcos, Spanish governor of Naples and first governor of the square of Longone (part of the state of principals). In September 1814 Napoleon, accompanied by Pons and Bertrand wanted to visit the sanctuary.

Location: Località Monserrato (Portoazzurro)

MUM Mineralogical Museum

While the Elban economy today is based on tourism, the fact remains that the people of San Piero and the west coast (Pomonte) have also lived and continue to live off their granite and marble

Location: San Piero in Campo

Port and Tower of Marciana Marina

Visit the harbor where Maria Walewska landed and the armed watchtower visited by Napoleon himself in 1814

Location: Marciana Marina