Wild and unspoiled Elba, super-equipped and state-of-the-art, in each case all to be discovered. There are truly many opportunities to experience the sea along the more than 147 kilometers of coastline, each with its own morphology and character: long golden sandy shores, tiny pebble coves, black sand beaches, others of the whitest pebbles, and towering cliffs of granite and basalt. Impossible not to find the one that will make your heart flutter among the dozens of beaches, coves and bays. We have reviewed about 50 of them out of an approximate total of 150 (there are even those who estimate the total number at 200!): only the small ones that are small or almost impossible to reach except by sea are missing from the roll call.
A small selection as a starting point
Strategic location for the large amount of hematite and limonite immediately identified by the emperor as soon as he landed on the island as a strategic-military axis.
The beach is named after the islet a few meters from the shore, itself named after Napoleon Bonaparte’s sister who, according to a legend (probably created by a tourism entrepreneur in the 1960s) loved to sunbathe on these rocks.
Designated as a summer residence, Napoleon purchased the property from the Manganaro family in 1814, with the intention of transforming it into a comfortable and refined abode that would have nothing to envy from Parisian residences.
Built in 1724 by Grand Duke Gaston de’ Medici, it was Napoleon’s city residence during his first stay on Elba Island.
It was built as a sign of gratitude in 1606 by José Pons y León of the Dukes of Arcos, Spanish governor of Naples and first governor of the square of Longone (part of the state of principals). In September 1814 Napoleon, accompanied by Pons and Bertrand wanted to visit the sanctuary.
While the Elban economy today is based on tourism, the fact remains that the people of San Piero and the west coast (Pomonte) have also lived and continue to live off their granite and marble
Visit the harbor where Maria Walewska landed and the armed watchtower visited by Napoleon himself in 1814