Today the entire Campo area has excellent hotel facilities and offers tourists a choice between a mundane and lively vacation on the coast, or a quiet and secluded stay in the picturesque inland villages of San Piero or Sant'Ilario. Also part of the municipal area are the seaside hamlets of Cavoli, Seccheto, Fetovaia and the island of Pianosa. The municipality of Campo is home to La Pila Airport, which efficiently connects the island of Elba with several Italian and European cities, even during the winter months.
The hamlet of Sant'Ilario, situated on a hillside at 207 meters above sea level, with the Gulf of Marina di Campo in front and the mountains behind, is one of the island's oldest and most characteristic villages. In St. Hilary you can see the Church of St. John, the largest primitive temple built by Christianity on the island. Along the road to San Piero you will come across the Tower of San Giovanni in Campo, an important Appian monument that dominates the surrounding landscape with its grandeur.
San Piero towers on a granite elevation of Mount Capanne, 227 meters above sea level. Here are the world-famous mineral-rich quarries of Fonte del Prete, Caviere, Vallicella and Grotta d'oggi, thanks to which geologists have called the island of Elba the "treasure chest of granite." San Piero is also home to an important religious monument, namely the Church of St. Nicholas built on the remains of an ancient Roman temple.
Strategic location for the large amount of hematite and limonite immediately identified by the emperor as soon as he landed on the island as a strategic-military axis.
The beach is named after the islet a few meters from the shore, itself named after Napoleon Bonaparte’s sister who, according to a legend (probably created by a tourism entrepreneur in the 1960s) loved to sunbathe on these rocks.
Designated as a summer residence, Napoleon purchased the property from the Manganaro family in 1814, with the intention of transforming it into a comfortable and refined abode that would have nothing to envy from Parisian residences.
Built in 1724 by Grand Duke Gaston de’ Medici, it was Napoleon’s city residence during his first stay on Elba Island.
It was built as a sign of gratitude in 1606 by José Pons y León of the Dukes of Arcos, Spanish governor of Naples and first governor of the square of Longone (part of the state of principals). In September 1814 Napoleon, accompanied by Pons and Bertrand wanted to visit the sanctuary.
While the Elban economy today is based on tourism, the fact remains that the people of San Piero and the west coast (Pomonte) have also lived and continue to live off their granite and marble
Visit the harbor where Maria Walewska landed and the armed watchtower visited by Napoleon himself in 1814