The municipality of Marciana is attested as a legal entity since the 13th century. During the Middle Ages Marciana was one of ten Elban municipalities subject to the government of Pisa. From 1399 the town was annexed to the state of Piombino, whose fate it shared until 1802, when all of Elba became French territory. Under the Grand Duchy of Tuscany, the municipality of Marciana had a vast territorial extension that included all of western Elba, from Acquaviva beach in the north to Fonza beach in the south. In 1884 the seaside village of Marina di Marciana split from Marciana, and in 1894 there was the further separation of Marina di Campo.
Visiting Marciana you will be able to breathe - and make your own - an "old-fashioned" way of life: the slow and relaxed rhythms, devoid of any stress, totally in tune with nature, have contributed to the Marcian people's achievement of the record for longevity on the entire island. Days in Marciana are transformed with the arrival of the substantial influx of tourists in the summer season. This is, undoubtedly, the area's greatest source of income, linked especially to the incredible variety of beautiful beaches: from those with unspoiled and wild charm, located in the western portion of the municipality facing Corsica, such as Chiessi, Patresi, Zanca and Sant'Andrea, to the more equipped and accessible beaches found in the Gulf of Procchio.
The beach is named after the islet a few meters from the shore, itself named after Napoleon Bonaparte’s sister who, according to a legend (probably created by a tourism entrepreneur in the 1960s) loved to sunbathe on these rocks.
Designated as a summer residence, Napoleon purchased the property from the Manganaro family in 1814, with the intention of transforming it into a comfortable and refined abode that would have nothing to envy from Parisian residences.
Built in 1724 by Grand Duke Gaston de’ Medici, it was Napoleon’s city residence during his first stay on Elba Island.
It was built as a sign of gratitude in 1606 by José Pons y León of the Dukes of Arcos, Spanish governor of Naples and first governor of the square of Longone (part of the state of principals). In September 1814 Napoleon, accompanied by Pons and Bertrand wanted to visit the sanctuary.
While the Elban economy today is based on tourism, the fact remains that the people of San Piero and the west coast (Pomonte) have also lived and continue to live off their granite and marble
Visit the harbor where Maria Walewska landed and the armed watchtower visited by Napoleon himself in 1814